For best RCC results, use the following “Tips” to help manage your in-person or remote meetings:
- Participants are encouraged to pass a microphone around the room to eliminate low volume,
multiple speakers and possibly background noise.
- Ask speakers to identify themselves before they speak. This will ensure that
participants who are utilizing the RCC service are aware of who is speaking at
all times during a meeting.
- Ask speakers to clearly enunciate and speak into the telephone or microphone
(especially when using a polycom or conference speaker).
- Ask speakers to take turns speaking (one person at a time) so that the captioner
is able to capture everything that is being said.
- Ensure that all non-speaking participants have their phones on mute.
- In Q&A sessions, ask speakers to repeat questions from participants prior to answering participant questions.
- Try to reduce background noise such as paper shuffling, moving of the speakerphone, rustling of snacks, etc.
- Ensure that any video or presentation is played near enough to the telephone or microphone that the captioner can hear the audio.
- Provide all available information about the conference (such as participants’ names, agenda and
preparation material that may apply: acronyms, powerpoints and/or key terms) via e-mail to
(Be sure to provide the conference ID number that was provided to you at the time of your request in your email as well.)
This will help the captioner to better serve your needs, and to accurately support the communication efforts during your RCC event.
- For technical or captioning issues during an event, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
or call (800) 590-4197. We will be happy to troubleshoot to ensure captions are received.